Check the Sign-in Book for:
- the week – for the Lectionary and the Book of Intercessions
- special rites – baptism, scrutinies, etc.
- second collections
- reserved signs in the pews
Set up Ambo:
- turn to correct week in Lectionary
Set up Deacon’s Chair:
- place hymnal and worship aid on the side of the deacon’s chair
Check Schedule in work sacristy for:
- Extra chair for visiting priest or extra deacon
- Check consecrated hosts
- LEAVE KEY IN TABERNACLE
Set up Altar:
o 5pm: new corporal; remove if there is not a 7pm Spanish Mass
o 7am: new corporal; remove only if there are large stains
o 9am: leave corporal; remove only if there are large stains
o 11am: remove corporal after Mass and if another one is available for 6pm Mass
o 6pm: new corporal and remove after Mass
- Pyx for those with wheat allergies:
o Those with wheat allergies will place on the altar before Mass a pyx with a gluten-free host in it. DO NOT remove it from the altar.
o These people will receive Communion from the priest only. If the priest does not already have the pyx in his hand, be prepared to hand it to him when he turns around to retrieve it from the altar.
Set up Credence Table:
- Presider’s chalice
- Ciboria tray
o Reserved ciborias (don’t stack these, they create a vacuum and are hard to separate)
- Chalice trays
o Chalices: 1/2 - 2/3 full of wine
o Stack of purificators; include 1 extra
o Cruet of water
- Basin and lavabo with water, place fingertip towel on top
- Backup items:
Set up Purification Table:
- 2 cruets of water
- 2 purificators
Set up ledge for Precious Blood chalices:
- 2 trays for chalices
- Basket for purificators
Set up Offertory Table:
- Bowl with hosts
o General guidelines – adjust accordingly!
§ 5pm: 2 ½ - 3 bags
§ 7am: use your judgement
§ 9am: 3 - 3 ½ bags
§ 11am: 3 ½ - 4 ½ bags
o Large Priest’s host on top
§ Each bag holds 250 hosts
§ A full gold ciborium in the tabernacle holds 500 hosts
- Small pewter wine pitcher – ½ full of wine
- Basket with food
- Book of Intercessions
Narthex – Monitoring Other Minister Roles
- Fill the stations at the front of the church first, then the transepts.
- Notify the cantor or soundboard tech to make an announcement 5 minutes before Mass requesting more EMHCs.
- If only 1 lector shows, advise him/her to read the other reading.
- Notify the cantor or soundboard tech to make an announcement 5 minutes before Mass requesting more Ushers.
Select Family for the Offertory
- Select a nicely attired family to bring the gifts.
Monitor pyx for those bringing Communion to the Sick
- Place the pyx on the ciboria tray.
- If the pyx is to hold more than 1 host, make sure how many is written down on a small piece of paper in the pyx.
- evaluate attendance & adjust hosts accordingly
- let ushers know if anyone needs communion in pew
- if less than full EMHC staff, remove vessels from tray on Credence table
- give 5 minute notice to Children’s Liturgy
- get Book of Intercessions from Narthex
- prepare family with gifts:
o they should come back to the Offertory table when the ushers go forward
o they are to follow altar servers
o give bread & wine first then book and basket
o bow together
- never transfer hosts from the gold ciborium or from one ciborium to another
- if more hosts are needed after the reserves, ask deacon to transfer hosts
- as ciboria are returned to the altar, transfer hosts into gold ciborium
- direct EMHCs to anyone who needs communion in his/her pew
- direct EMHCs to other areas when they have finished
o have no more than 2 Body of Christ or 2 Precious Blood EMHCs at a single station; if there’s more than that, direct the extra EHMCs to another station or to return their vessels
- direct EMHCs to return ciboria to the altar and chalices to the ledge
- direct people to side doors
- take hymnals from procession
- remove anything that needs to be returned to the work sacristy
- leave the Sacramentary at the credence table - always
- remove Corporal if needed; shake out in sacrarium before placing in hamper
- return Book of Intercessions to Narthex
- return basket to Offertory table
- return the book of Gospels to the Priest sacristy
- leave the Lectionary at the Ambo - always
- return key to work sacristy after 5PM, 11AM, and 6PM Mass (If Spanish Mass after 5PM then no need to remove key)
- stock with extra hosts if needed
- make sure it’s in order for next Mass