We welcome you with open arms and we hope you enjoy serving the Lord in this ministry. As a lector for the children’s liturgy you are very important to the celebration.
Children’s Mass: Must be in grades 4-8 and have received First Communion.
Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW): Must be in grades 3-8 and have received First Communion.
Boys: Dress slacks, dress shoes & nice shirt. No jeans, tennis shoes or flip-flops allowed.
Girls: Nice dress or skirt & blouse, nice shoes. No jeans, tennis shoes or flip-flops allowed.
Practice the reading out loud at home several times.
Pray to God asking for help in sharing His word.
Be prayerful & reverent.
Remember that you are proclaiming the word of God – not giving a speech.
Speak slowly, clearly and project your voice.
Share the meaning of the reading by how you proclaim it.
Arrange for a substitute if you cannot make your assigned Mass. Please let me know about substitutions in advance by email or voicemail. If you are a sub for Children’s Mass or CLOW, please sign your name next to the person’s name for whom you are subbing on the “Liturgy Sign-in Book” at the Sacristan’s table in the Narthex.
During various liturgical seasons there may be some variations in procedures. We will inform you of any changes ahead of time.
Guidelines for Children’s Mass
♦ Arrive a MINIMUM of 15 minutes before the beginning of Mass. PLEASE NOTE – If a child doesn’t show-up or is late three times, they will be taken off the schedule (only exception is if no-show is due to illness). PARENTS: if your child is sick, please call the other lector ahead of time so they know they will be doing both readings, and leave me a voicemail message as well.
♦ Check your name off in the liturgy sign-in book. Note whether or not your co-lector has signed in.
♦ Stand by until your co-lector or a sub has signed in.
♦ Check to see that the lectionary is at the ambo, open to the first reading
♦ Reading time
– As the Altar Server leaves the altar, walk slowly towards the altar and bow toward the altar when you reach the first pew. Walk up the steps behind the ambo at the right side of the altar. Before beginning the reading, pause for a moment to be sure all are seated and quiet. Announce the reading, pause briefly (1-2 seconds), proclaim the reading and pause again briefly before saying “The Word of the Lord”. After the first reading, turn the page to the second reading, mark it with the ribbon, quietly close the book and place it on the shelf in the ambo. After the second reading, quietly close the book and place it on the shelf in the ambo. Turn clockwise as you leave the ambo, walk down the back step and bow to the altar before returning to your seat.
Guidelines for Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW)
- Arrive no later than 15 minutes before the beginning of Mass.
- Check your name off in the Liturgy sign-in book at the Narthex.
- Go to the Adult Meeting Room and introduce yourself to the teachers. The first lector will receive the Children’s Lectionary book from them to be used in the opening procession. Both lectors need to check in with the CLOW Team!
- Five minutes before Mass begins, you may report to the Bride's Room to join Father, the Deacon(s), Altar Servers, Eucharistic Ministers and Sacristan in prayer. (One parent may join their child if desired)
- Please check back to see that your co-lector has signed in. If not signed in before mass begins, you will need to read both readings AND do both the opening procession and lead the CLOW dismissal.
- FIRST LECTOR: Bring the book over to church and get ready to line up in the procession behind the last altar server and in front of the deacon. Please wait until the last altar server gets to the front before processing up the aisle with the book.
- FIRST LECTOR: Hold the book high with the binding in your left hand. Walk SLOWLY as you carry the book towards the altar. Stop when you get to the steps in front of the altar, slowly bow your head, walk up to the left of the altar and place the book on the Deacon’s chair. Walk slowly down the steps behind the Deacon’s chair and go to sit with your family. (Families please sit on the same side of the church as the cantor’s stand).
- SECOND LECTOR: After the opening prayer, when the priest or deacon invites the teachers for CLOW to come forward, get up and walk to the front of the altar, bow to the altar, and receive the Children’s Lectionary Book from the priest or deacon. After the blessing, turn and hold the book high, with the binding of the book in your right hand, as you carry it out of church and over to the Adult Meeting Room.
- FIRST LECTOR: Stand near your co-lector as they receive the book from the Deacon and walk to the Adult Meeting Room.
- The CLOW teachers will let you know where to place the book and when to start reading.
NOTE: Please do not hesitate to ask the parents of our experienced lectors. They will be more than happy to oblige including the lectors themselves