Guidelines for Sponsors of Adults Seeking Confirmation
Sponsors represent in a personal way the witness and support of the parish community. Sponsors should be mature persons of faith who are highly convinced that their faith makes a difference in their lives. Opportunities for catechesis should be offered to the sponsors in order to assist them in fully understanding their role in the ongoing formation of the candidate. The sponsor should participate with the candidate in his/her preparation, as well as the celebration of the Sacrament.
Requirements for Sponsors
- Have completed their 18th year of age
- Must be a Catholic that is committed to being a disciple of Jesus Christ and has all of their sacraments (baptism, confirmation, and regularly receives Communion at Mass)
- If the sponsor is married, their marriage must be recognized by the Catholic Church as valid
- Cannot be the mom or the dad of the one getting Confirmed
- Has no other canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared.